2018 Report of the UB Support Program for refugees

Check here the complete report (pages 18-31)


During 2018, within the framework of the UB Support Program for refugees and people coming from conflict areas:

– A working group of 4 persons with specific training in refugees, asylum and human rights issues has been consolidated.

7 action lines have been developed.

– More than 70 requests for support and information were answered (53 % of the requests received came from people already in Catalonia and the remaining 47 % from people in conflict areas).

– A total of 28 people are studying within the framework of the program, and more than a hundred have been able to benefit from actions related to accommodation. During the academic year 2019-2020, 15 more people will join the transition course to the University.

– An intense networking has been carried out, whose main outcomes are:persones-refugiades-transicio-universitat

intraUB networking: Concretion of actions and collaborations with 16 groups, departments and areas of the University of Barcelona.

Inter-university network: Collaboration with the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC), the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), the cooperation secretary of the Vives Network of Universities and the Catalan Association of Public Universities (ACUP).

Link to the associations movement: Contacts and collaborations with 21 local, national and international entities.

Reinforcement of institutional relations: The UB Solidarity Foundation has represented the University of Barcelona in spaces that address the issue of refuge:

Social Space: Refuge city of the City Council of Barcelona.

Generalitat de Catalunya (Catalan Regional Government).

Sectorial Commission for Internationalisation and Cooperation.

4 collaboration agreements have been signed with:

– The Barcelona City Council, which has approved the project Vías Seguras Alternativas (VISA) for refugee students (2018-2020), which renews and expands the agreement that was signed two years ago, in November 2016, to launch the first two editions of the transition course to the University.

– The City Council of Viladecans, which contributes to the accommodation of students hosted by the UB program with the aim of promoting their process of personal autonomy and social integration.

Nestlé Spain, which offers two remunerated scholarships during the year 2019 (one per semester) to those benefited by the UB program to join its central office team.

– The Campus CETT-UB and the Fundación Gaspar España-CETT, which make available to those benefited by UB program a scholarship to undertake one of its postgraduate courses offered.

– Collaboration agreements have been maintained with:

CITE (Information Centre for Foreign Workers) and ACSAR Foundation (Catalan Association of Support and Aid to Refugees) in the area of legal advice.

CCAR (Catalan Committee of Aid to Refugees), CEAR (Spanish Committee of Aid to Refugees) and ACCEM (Spanish Catholic Association for Migration) for the rental of three floors of the Eucaliptus building.

Two European and International projects have been executed in relation to refugees:

inHERE: Higher Education Supporting Refugees in Europe

RESCUE: Refugees Education Support in MENA countries